Monday, September 13, 2010

Games

One or two of my avid followers are wondering why they haven't learned as much about the Husband as they have about the Van and the Dog.  Husband's essence will be revealed over time as the journey continues, but I will give you a bit of background. In many ways, we had similar childhoods: small towns, hard-working parents, modest lifestyles, church-going Lutherans, no-nonsense attitudes. But there were some big differences too, one of which I discovered the very first time Husband came with me to spend time with my parents. After dinner, mom said, "Want to play a game of Hearts or Cribbage?" Deer-in-headlights look. "Scrabble or Big Boggle?" More deer-in-headlights. 

To Mark, it was a foreign language and he hadn't studied it.  Trump? Suit? Face card? Shuffle? 15-4? What?? To my parents' credit, while they didn't let him off the hook entirely, they did try to focus on his many other admirable qualities. To Mark's credit, he gradually gave in and faced his fears, and it touches my heart to be able to tell you that already on this trip, we've played three games of Scrabble and one of Cribbage. To my credit, it bothers me only a little that Mark won 3 of the 4.

We're on I-84 now, trying to make time to Boise and beyond.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment