Monday, October 11, 2010

Life in VanMan, Part 2

I need to confess to having some difficulty adjusting to our life on the road. In my prior life, my alarm went off at 4:45 am. I hurried around doing my morning things before catching the ferry to work. I had a giant to-do list every day. There was a steady stream of people in and out of my office all day long. I received dozens of e-mails. My phone rang often. I rushed to the gym, to meetings, to lunches, to socialize with friends. Then I ran to catch the ferry home, usually in time to spend an hour with Husband and Dog before hitting the hay. 

Just like that lame cartoon game in the newspaper, "how many differences can you find between these two pictures?" What a change. We do not move at my pace. We need to stop and play ball with the Dog. We wait for Husband to take his regimen of drugs and supplements six times/day (but by the way, he is feeling better than he has in many years - doing great). We have an afternoon nap. We have no specific goals to accomplish for the day. Some days I want to scream. Other days, I think I am getting the hang of it (for this trip, at least). Mark and Ruby are easy to be with, let me be clear about that. Living in 70 square feet with the two of them is not the issue and, in fact, you learn to be respectful of another person's space, which is a good thing. 

Now that we have met my major objectives for the trip (seeing southern Utah, Durango and Ouray, CO, and we are now in New Mexico), I'm hoping that relaxing gets easier -  thus far it has taken a lot of hard work.  

2 comments:

  1. Well this post certainly resonated with me! I think you know why. :) Sounds (and looks!) like you are nevertheless having a wonderful time on the road. I am certainly enjoying the ride remotely! Wishing a continuously pleasant journey to you and your supporting cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    We are really enjoying your blog. Your witty, articulate prose is very entertaining. As for the comment about retirement...I applaud your courage. Retirement is not for sissies. I can identify with what you are feeling. At 15 months into my retirement, I am only now beginning to feel comfortable with it. Hang in there.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete